Sunday, April 6, 2014

April 6, 2014 - Hot Springs, NC

We are taking a nearo day here in Hot Springs, NC at mile 275. This is a very hiker (and motorcycler) friendly town with the AT running right down the main street. Sharing a rented cabin with Misty, Harry, and Fresh.

The past days since Gatlinburg have been nice. The first few days back up in the moxies were clear and warn but the snow was melting away to slush and mud. The views were truly beautiful here, some of the best and consistently so thoroughout the day.

We only got a little bit of rain and nothing lasting more than half a day. The temperatures do not seem to get freezing anymore and my new sleeping bag is warm enough that I dont need my liner.

I will be sending home my liner and our microspikes tomorrow. In another few weeks or month, I will send home some clothes. I want more volume in my pack or more compact stuff. The size of my food bag is enormous. The weight is not really an issue but volume is. It will be nice once I send some home. Once/if my new 15° bag becomes unbearably hot, I could trade it out for something smaller.

The next resupply town, Erwin, TN is in 5-6 days.

We are at 41 bird species now! Our hiker friend,  Goat told us the other day that the booming sound of increasing tempo we have been hearing everyday is ruffed grouse... males displaying! Google it, it's awesome!!!!!

- Junco

2 comments:

  1. The first time I heard a grouse drumming I had no idea what was going on—I could almost feel it more than hear it. I hope you get to see one in action!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so fun to meet you guys, we will be tagging along here in Fl. Have magical trails, Beth and Bernie.

    ReplyDelete