Friday, March 14, 2014

First Day.

Tuesday march 11. 9:30am.

Greta and I had a great and tough first day. After a 11 hour overnight greyhound ride to atlanta with basically no sleep, we had breakfast at a place we like a lot before getting picked up by our shuttler, Survivor Dave.

We began our hike at the Springer Mt parking lot and had to hike south to the summit one mile before turning north. The mountains here are beautiful and the woods are a really nice brown. Yesterday was very warm with not a trace of snow and today promises the same. We hiked thru magnificent magnolia patches and lots of little streams.

Spend the night tenting at Hawk Mt shelter along with like 50 other tents! Had fun throwing the bear bag! I got a decent first nights sleep. Greta is unfortunately feeling sick (snotty and nausea). That's ok though because we didnt want to push it the first week.

We are going to keep a AT bird list which will be a separate post of this blog we will update as we identify new bird species. Yesterday I got a great view of my first Bicknell's thrush!

Dont have internet at time of writing so I will post when I do....
-chris

No comments:

Post a Comment